Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Very Productive Day

Today, I purged my room. No, not "cleaned." Purged. I am an abominable pack-rat, so I forced myself to toss out many things that had been sitting, dusty and unused, in my room for years.

I feel so much better now.

I also rearranged and redecorated, which really freshened up the space. I think that I can finally use my room as a workspace. It sounds a bit paradoxical, but cleaning really relieves stress.

So, for any of you out there reading this, I have two movie suggestions. I am sure that you have seen them advertised dozens of times on the television, but The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Les Miserables are certainly worth your time and money. I happen to be a big fan of the source material for both films, so I may be a little biased in my reviews of the movies. I'll try to keep these brief.

First, The Hobbit. It was released on December 14th, but as I had a final that day and the next, I saw it on Sunday the 16th with my father and siblings. A bit of back-story here: my dad took me to see The Fellowship of the Ring when it came out in 2001. I was nine at the time, and I felt like the coolest kid in the world because my dad took me to a PG-13 movie (the only stipulation was that I had to read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy beforehand, which is a tad difficult in the fourth grade). My dad got me a large Hi-C--the best drink for a "grownup" kid--which resulted in both of us having to run to the bathroom in the middle of the Mines of Moria. We were better prepared for the next two, longer movies in the trilogy.

Anyway, back to The Hobbit. I will not attempt to hash out the plot for you or anything like that. According to my father, I did not stop smiling for the entire movie. Could it be that I was watching my favorite book of all time playing out on the big screen? Could it be that the casting was spot on? Or that the detailed work of Weta Workshop never ceases to amaze me? The music, the sets, the panoramic views of New Zealand...it was a fest for the ears and eyes. Of course, not everything was perfect. Parts of the plot were altered or omitted. But that is just how it has to be with film adaptations of books, and I would rather see a lovingly-crafted, if a bit imperfect, movie than nothing at all.

Les Miserables. No written words can express the deep connection that I have to this musical. I have seen it five times on the stage, and my mother raised me on the soundtrack and the 10th Anniversary Performance VHS tape. The music, plot, and characters have somehow twisted with my DNA and become a part of me. My entire family saw the film last night as part of our Christmas celebrations. My brother shifted uncomfortably in his seat the whole time (he's not a musical fan), and my mom was very stoic, but my sister and dad and I shed tears during the whole three hours. If you do not like musicals at all, then you should probably avoid this movie. But if you are a fan, or if you are open to trying something new, please please please see this movie. Once again, it is imperfect, with changed lyrics and plot points and a few awkward camera shots, but it carried the feel of the musical perfectly.

And if Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed a Dream" does not shake you to your emotional core, then you are probably not human. Like my brother.

I will leave you with two beautiful quotes from two beautiful movies.

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

"And remember the truth that once was spoken: to love another person is to see the face of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment